Criminal Defense & Investigations
There is little more disruptive to a business or its employees than a criminal investigation, and experienced counsel is vital to successfully navigating those waters. TSH&D attorneys have represented both corporate and individual clients at all stages of white collar criminal investigations – from responding to subpoenas to managing regulatory investigations to defending clients at jury trials in both federal and state courts. We have represented a spectrum of clients, including corporations, CEOs, lawyers, business-owners and political figures in cases involving a wide variety of allegations, including:
- Mail Fraud
- Wire Fraud
- Federal Highway Fraud
- Tax Evasion
- Securities Law Violations
- Campaign Finance Violations
- Obstruction of Justice
- Public Corruption
TSH&D attorneys also regularly represent clients charged criminally in Massachusetts trial courts, including motor vehicle offenses, assault and drug and alcohol-related offenses. From a clerk’s hearing to a full jury trial, our attorneys have successfully defended numerous individuals, securing favorable results that allow our clients to move forward with their lives despite a run-in with the law.
Many white collar investigations start out in investigative and regulatory bodies. TSH&D attorneys have represented clients under investigation by the State Ethics Commission, the Executive Office of Public Safety, the Office of the Inspector General, the Internal Revenue Service and the Federal Election Commission. Strategic handling and resolution of such matters at the outset often avoids their escalating to full-scale criminal investigations.
Our attorneys are particularly skilled at quickly understanding a client’s business needs and working to minimize the impact of any government investigation on company operations and employees, as well as the often parallel civil and administrative proceedings. And because potential exclusion from the ability to contract with the government is often a significant, if not fatal, event for a business, we have also successfully defended government contractors in state and federal debarment proceedings.
For many corporations, an important component of any defense to a government investigation is the company’s own internal investigation. We have extensive experience conducting these investigations to assist our clients in developing the facts, assessing the risks, and proceeding in the most prudent manner to protect their interests.
News & Articles
- Kristen Schuler Scammon Talks About the State of White Collar Criminal Law with Radio Entrepreneurs
- Benjamin Hincks Joins Torres, Scammon, Hincks & Day as Partner
- Considerations to Help Contain the Cost of Today’s Litigation
- Torres, Scammon & Day Celebrates 4th Anniversary
- Kristen Schuler Scammon Named to 2015 Massachusetts Super Lawyers List for White Collar Criminal Defense
- Torres, Scammon & Day Files Amicus Brief in Support of Direct TV and Dish Network’s Suit Against the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Revenue
- ABA White Collar Crime National Institute March 5-7, 2014