Steven J. Torres – Partner
Steve is an experienced business litigator and one of the founding partners of Torres, Scammon, Hincks & Day, LLP. With a 16-year track record for delivering results in complex business disputes, including an eleven-year tenure at Mintz Levin, a top national law firm, Steve brings a no-nonsense and focused approach to litigation. Steve helps his clients achieve successful outcomes that meet the client’s objectives and provide cost-efficient litigation results. Drawing upon his extensive experience in the litigation trenches, Steve has achieved excellent results for clients through all phases of the litigation process whether by jury trial, appellate practice, arbitration, mediation or administrative proceedings.
Steve possesses specific subject matter expertise in a number of subjects and industries while also maintaining general litigation skills that are valued in all business disputes. He has represented clients in different types of complex commercial disputes including those involving:
- Breach of contract
- Breaches of Fiduciary Duty
- Shareholder Disputes
- Unfair Business Practices
- Employment Litigation
- Licensing Agreements
- Professional Service Fee Disputes
- The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)
Drawing upon his unique qualifications and his 24 years of experience with the insurance industry, Steve advises clients with respect to all facets of insurance and reinsurance matters. Steve has litigated and arbitrated scores of disputes implicating insurance, reinsurance and regulatory matters. Steve counsels insurers, reinsurers, policyholders, agents/brokers and others engaged in the insurance industry concerning:
- GL, D&O, EPLI and Professional Policies
- Reinsurance Contracts
- Regulatory Matters
- Bad Faith Claims
- Business Disputes Involving Entities In the Industry
Steve obtained the insurance industry’s prestigious Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) designation in 2008 after successfully completing the 8 exams and other requirements for the designation and also obtained his Associate in Claims (AIC) designation in 1994. Steve is currently active in the CPCU Society. He is the current President of the CPCU Society Boston Chapter and previously served as President-Elect and Vice President (2014-2016). Steve has been a member of the Boston Chapter board of directors since June 2010.
A small sample of Steve’s successful litigation results includes:
- Early Dismissal: Obtained dismissal through motions to dismiss on behalf of three clients in recent federal court actions: R&B Splicer Systems, Inc. v. Woodland Industries, Inc. (breach of contract); Thomen-Brown v. Wilder (wage act claim); and Progressive Insurance v. Colvin’s Inc. (products liability);
- Appeals: Secured appellate victories before the First Circuit Court of Appeals: obtaining the reversal of the district court’s dismissal for lack of personal jurisdiction in C.W. Downer & Co. v. Bioriginal (breach of contract); and obtained the reversal of the Bankruptcy Court’s dismissal of client’s claims in Strachan et al v. Eastern Towers, LLC (breach of fiduciary duty case).
- Arbitrations: Obtained a favorable judgment, including being awarded attorney’s fees and the costs of the arbitration, on behalf of the defendant in a claim by a vendor for payment under a web-services contract; obtained a favorable settlement payment for professional service fees for a consultant in an arbitration proceeding.
- Trials: As lead counsel in a jury trial, Steve obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a publicly traded company. The jury found that the client had not breached the terms of its services agreement and judgment entered for the defense on all claims. While serving as co-counsel in a multi-week jury trial Steve procured a favorable outcome on behalf of a client when the jury issued a very favorable damage award that tracked Steve’s cross examination of the opponent’s accounting expert.
- Associate and Of Counsel, Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky & Popeo, P.C. (2000-2012)
- Special Assistant District Attorney, Middlesex County
- St. Paul Fire & Marine (1992-1999)
- B.S., cum laude, from Providence College (1992)
- J.D., magna cum laude, from Suffolk University Law School (2000)
Bar and Court Admissions
- Massachusetts Bar
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
Awards, Publications, and Presentations
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, Business Litigation 2014-2016; Rising Star 2010.
- Founding member of “MReBA”—the Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association and serve as chair of its Website Committee and member of its Publishing Committee.
- Author, “Considerations to Help Contain the Cost of Today’s Litigation,” The Standard New England’s Insurance Weekly, April 2016.
- Participated in Panel Presentation “Considering Consolidation” September 2010 at MReBA’s annual reinsurance symposium.
- Authored “Case Spotlight” on arbitrator’s venue choice in the initial publication of MReBA’s Cover Notes.
- Co-authored Case Brief, “Massachusetts High Court Upholds Use of Catastrophe Models” published in Insurance Coverage Law Bulletin.
- Presented “Tips for Practitioners on Joint Defense Agreements and the Common Interest Doctrine in the Wake of the SJC’s Ruling in Hanover” at Boston Bar Association Meeting.
- Co-authored “‘Follow the Settlements Doctrine’—Implications on a Reinsured’s Allocation and Aggregation of Losses” published in Insurance Coverage Law Bulletin.
- Considerations to Help Contain the Cost of Today’s Litigation
- Steven Torres Named President of the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters Society Boston Chapter
- Steven J. Torres Named to 2015 Massachusetts Super Lawyers List for Business Litigation
- Appeals Court rules Canadian company is subject to jurisdiction in Massachusetts
- Steven J. Torres Named to 2014 Massachusetts Super Lawyers List
- Steven Torres Named Vice President of the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters Society Boston Chapter